Professional Mentorship Program
The undergraduate Professional Mentorship Program (PMP) pairs Leeds juniors and seniors in one-on-one mentoring partnerships with experienced professionals. Mentors represent a variety of industries, functional areas, and companies and hail from across the country and around the world. Students and mentors are matched based on each student’s interests regarding industry, functional area, geographic location, career path, and hobbies. Mentors serve as coaches, advisors, and connectors, helping students expand their networks and prepare for the transition from college to career.
What to expect:
- Students and mentors are matched at the start of each semester
- Students and mentors commit to connecting (in-person, by phone, or via Skype/FaceTime) twice per semester, and ideally, connect more frequently on an informal basis
- Each pair determines what topics they will cover, or what areas of professional development they’ll work on together based on the interests and goals of each participant. Past pairs have worked on things including: Resume and cover letter, interviewing practice, communication skills, job/internship search strategies, on-campus involvement, and networking.
- Students are required to attend PMP’s two signature events each year; the Fall Kick-Off in October and the Spring Celebration in April. Students are invited and encouraged to attend other PMP events, including workshops and networking opportunities, throughout the year.
- Mentors are invited to attend all PMP events throughout the year, regardless of whether or not they are currently paired with a student.