Mentoring Do's and Dont's
Being a Mentee Is:
- talking about your goals and how you can achieve them
- learnings some skills that will help you in college
- focusing on the future
- being open and trusting of the mentoring relationships. Giving back as much as you get.
- Commit to new things, take risks, and give college your all.
- Listen to your mentor and seek to understand the advice that your mentor gives you.
- Ask your mentor how they learned all the information they are sharing with you
- Be prompt at returning calls or answering emails from your mentor.
- Keep all discussions confidential.
- If you feel that the partnership is not working, for whatever reason, ask to have another mentor appointed.
Being a Mentee Is Not:
- Depend on your mentor to identify your goals for you.
- Assume your mentor has unlimited time for you.
- Assume that your mentor will be a free tutor in your business classes
- Be disrespectful of your mentor by not returning phone calls, emails, etc.
- Talk negatively about your mentor